Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Crazy Layer Cookie Bars

Man it feels good to be back!

Today was my first time back in the kitchen doing some baking.  I hadn't in a while and I was missing it! I had a lovely work out in the morning back at the SERF (it opened today for the first time since summer). I had a nice work out on the arc-trainer.  I also ran 1 lap around the track and it didn't hurt! I have been stretching and icing my foot like crazy to take care of this tendinitis and I can't wait to be back running!

Then I got to work on these amazing cookie bars!  I saw the recipe over at Picky Palate and then I just adapted it a little.  I used this recipe for the sugar cookie layer and then I just had to use my chocolate chip cookie recipe for the top.

Afterwards, I took a trip to the park with my friends to play Bocce Ball.  It was a gorgeous day and I was grateful to experience some summer in Madison before classes get going again.  It was a great way to spend the afternoon before my work shift.  Plus, my team won!  I am typically not a huge Bocce fan, but today was awesome and I just love spending time with my girlfriends.

I got an awesome sandwich from Erbert and Gerbert's and then worked back at my second home: Union South.  It was strange at first to get back into work mode, but it was also super fun.  Also, the sandwich was fantastic! I ordered a sandwich with chicken, wasabi-cranberry sauce, cucumbers, lettuce, and cheddar. It was pretty delicious.

After work I met up with friends once again for a night out on the town!  I am thoroughly enjoying my time here in Madison while it is still summer.  It is strange to think that 1 week from today I will be back in classes and teaching for the first time at a middle school!

Crazy Layer Cookie Bars

Ingredients:
Sugar Cookie Layer:
adapted from Food Network
3 cups flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tbsp skim milk
Double Dark Chocolate Chip Layer:
adapted from Picky Palate
1 3/4 cups flour
1 1/4 cups cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
12 oz dark chocolate chips
Peanut Butter Layer:
adapted from Picky Palate
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup sugar
Chocolate Chip Cookie Layer:
adapted from My Famous Chocolate Chip Cookies
3 cups flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 egg white
1 tbsp vanilla
12 oz milk chocolate chips
Oven Ready 

Look at those layers!

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 13 by 9 inch baking dish.
2. Make the sugar cookie layer: In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together.  In a large bowl beat butter and sugar on high until light and fluffy.  Beat in the egg and milk.  Slowly beat in the flour mixture until just combined.  Press the sugar cookie dough into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
3. Make the Double Dark Chocolate Chip layer: In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt together.  In a large bowl, beat the butter and both sugars on high until light and fluffy.  Beat in the eggs and vanilla.  Slowly incorporate the flour mixture into the wet ingredients until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.  Spread this layer evenly over the sugar cookie dough.
4. Make the Peanut Butter Cookie layer: Beat the peanut butter and sugar until well combined.  Spread over the double dark chocolate chip dough.
5. Make the Chocolate Chip layer: In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon together.  In a large bowl, beat the butter and both sugars on high until light and fluffy.  Beat in the egg, egg white, and vanilla.  Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until just combined.  Stir in the chocolate chips.  With this dough, just drop spoonfuls on top of the peanut butter layer until almost covered.  You may not use all the dough.
6. Bake the cookie bars in the oven for about 45 minutes.  The edges will begin to brown and the center will appear set.  Let cool completely for a few hours.

Enjoy :)

7 comments:

  1. These look super delicious! My girls would love these :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. They are helping me make tons of friends in my house as people move in!

      Delete
  3. That looks delicious! Three cookies in one, it's gotta be amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there. Thank you so much for following Carole's Chatter. Have a super week.

    ReplyDelete