Monday, August 27, 2012

Southwest Quinoa Salad

I have a super duper recipe to share today! It is one of my new favorite salads or healthy food option.  It is so simple to throw together and it is the perfect healthy food for college kids! I made this at home and my entire family agreed: it was great! It is a quinoa salad packed with protein, veggies, and flavor! My mom wanted me to show the recipe to Whole Foods because she thinks that it is better than any of their quinoa salads.  That made me smile.  Of course it's better...it's made with love by me.

Since being in Madison, I have not been super healthy.  The house I live in has a chef that brings in lunch and dinner on school days and keeps the fridge and pantry well stocked with various items.  This is awesome.  The problem is that school hasn't started and so the chef hasn't started.  I love to cook, but the kitchen isn't really well stocked and my mini fridge just doesn't have the power to hold all the food I would like it to.  So, I have been doing a lot of snacking and eating out with friends.  Also, some of my friends parents have been kind enough to feed me as they move in their child.  I am pretty grateful for that because I am not sure what I would do otherwise.

I wish I had some of this quinoa salad in my fridge right now! I'm thinking that I will have to do some grocery shopping today and maybe make another! I still have a week and all my friends are moved in so no more parents.  I'm going to need some food and this will be perfect.

Southwest Quinoa Salad (adapted from Kalyn's Kitchen)

Ingredients:
3/4 cup dry quinoa
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 tsp salt
12 oz black beans, drained and rinsed
1 red pepper, coarsely chopped
1 cup frozen edamame, cooked according to directions
1/2 cup green onion, chopped
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Dressing:
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tsp southwest seasoning
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Directions:
1. Cook the quinoa in the 1 1/2 cups of water and salt according to directions.  Make sure to rinse the quinoa if it is not already.  When the quinoa is done, run a fork through it to break it up and place in a large bowl.
2.  Mix in the black beans, red pepper, cooked edamame, green onion, and cilantro.  Toss to combine.
3.  Whisk all the dressing ingredients together and drizzle over the salad.  I only used about 3/4 of the dressing because I don't like too much on my salads.
Enjoy :)


2 comments:

  1. I just got a big container of quinoa and was trying to find some good recipes, thanks!

    I loved the five years I spent in Madison for grad school, though I did eat a lot of unhealthy food! The summers were better with the farmers market around. Just try to limit your intake of greenbush bakery treats! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have actually only been to greenbush once! The forever yogurt shop that just opened by my house is whats really killing me right now!

      Delete