Sunday, August 5, 2012

Pittsburgh, Pennslyvania

Let the road trip begin!

On day 1, Bri and I drove 8 hours to Pittsburgh, PA.  We left around 9:30 in the morning, stopped for lunch/gas in Ohio, and made it here by 6! We made really great time! I started off the drive through Indiana and Ohio and then we switched after lunch.  I've gotta say, Bri got the better scenery:


We checked into our hotel, which is pretty nice for the price, and then headed out for dinner downtown.  Except, then we ran into a problem: apparently on the weekends, there is awful tunnel construction that prevents anyone from going downtown.  You have to take awful detours and it takes forever.  The lady at the front desk gave us some good dinner options in the area instead, and we decided on The Green Mango, a thai restaurant that had good reviews.  Plus, it was across the street and we coud walk there.  The food was fresh and pretty good.  I ate my food so fast that I forgot to take a picture (gasp!).


Following dinner, we were both feeling a little bummed that we weren't going to see any of downtown Pittsburgh.  So we talked it over, and decided that we would brave the traffic in order to see some of downtown and get dessert at what was supposed to be the best dessert place in the whole city, Gullifty's.

The traffic was pretty awful, but we finally made it! Plus, we saw some really cool bridges along the way.


And, the dessert was fantastic.  Gullifty's was not a pretty sight to see, but our desserts were super delicious.  I got a Peanut Butter Melt Away and Bri got their Killer Kookie.  We were both quite pleased with our decision to go downtown.  We were also excited that our hotel had a work out facility that would be much needed tomorrow...



Tunnels: not under construction on the return trip!
Tomorrow we are off to our first official destination, Washington DC.  I can't wait!
Plus, I hope to finish this...
it's amazing what you can do when you have to sit for 4 hours

5 comments:

  1. My boyfriend made the trip from Ohio to Pittsburg today (he was visiting home, but the bus to take him back to NY is in Pitt)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny coincidence! I really enjoyed Pittsburgh even though we were only there for a short time!

      Delete
    2. Funny coincidence! I really enjoyed Pittsburgh even though we were only there for a short time!

      Delete
  2. Check out my blog for great places to eat while in dc, my reviews are all under "oggle worthy edibles" at the top! There are many!! Enjoy DC!

    ReplyDelete