Saturday, December 3, 2011

Oreo Truffles

I work as an Information Guide for Visitor & Information Programs (VIP).  We staff the desk at various locations on campus and help people with general questions about the University, directions, prospective students, and basically anything anyone can think of.  We also answer campus e-mails and Ask Buck Chats.  It is an AMAZING job and I love every single one of my coworkers.  I am super grateful to have a job like this because I am pretty sure that it will be hard to find a job after college where every single person is awesome and dedicated to what they do.  I love the University of Wisconsin and I love getting to talk about how great it is with prospective students and others.

Visitor & Information Programs

Anyways, sometimes work is just not as hopping as other times.  During these slower periods, we tend to browse the internet for fun things to entertain us and keep us from working on homework.  I am usually on foodgawker.com coming up with new and exciting recipes.  One day, while on foodgawker, my coworker Mike looked over and freaked out about something on the screen.  It was an oreo truffle.  He informed me that I HAD to make him some.  I thought about it, and decided that this was a pretty good idea...not making him a ton of truffles, but making the truffles in general.  They are super easy and perfect for giving away with secret santa gifts or other holiday events.

In particular, my fraternity was having a dinner party in a week and I was in charge of dessert.  I decided that oreo truffles would be the perfect dessert because they are easy and everyone will love them.  Most of the recipes online showed different variations of the truffles.  I decided on three slightly different strategies: Mint Oreo Truffles, Regular Oreo Truffles, and Oreo Truffles covered in Cookies & Cream Chocolates.

Oreo Truffles:

Ingredients: 
1 package of Oreo's (or mint)
1 package of 8oz Cream Cheese (light if you want to be a little healthier)
Chocolates (I got dark chocolate, semi sweet, and milk chocolate chips)
A couple bars of Hershey's Cookies & Cream bars (if you are going to get crazy like I did)

Directions: 
1. Crush the Oreo's in a food processor and then mix with the softened cream cheese.
2. Make small balls of the oreo-cream cheese mixture and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper if you want.
3. Place cookie sheets in the fridge to chill while you prepare the chocolate (or leave in the fridge overnight because this is easier when the oreo balls are cold)
4. Melt chocolate in 30 second increments in the microwave.  Dip oreo balls in the chocolate and place on cookie sheet.  Chill for around an hour.
-If you are doing the cookies and cream bars, melt them in the microvave with a little bit of milk and mix well.  Dip oreo balls in the cookies and cream mixture, then chill.  Then re-dip into a chocolate of your choice.  The cookies and cream mixture won't harden and will be sticky so by dipping them in chocolate you will have a delicious combination of chocolates and they will harden well.
5. Enjoy :)
photo from: http://theculinarycouple.com/2010/12/14/oreo-truffles-2/

Can't wait to share these with Mike at work on Tuesday!

1 comment: