Friday, December 16, 2011

The Perfect Pi for a Future Math Teacher

Learning community two in the School of Education organized a little secret santa action a few weeks ago.  My secret santa happens to be a trombone playing, future math teacher.  What do you get a trombone playing, future math teacher?  Well, I think I might have figured out the perfect gift!  I found an adorable trombone ornament which is perfect for the holidays and then I wanted to also make something delicious in addition! I had the trombone playing part set, but what about the math part?

At first, I thought about making a cookie pie...but in the shape of pi!  But then, I had a stroke of good luck! I had the good fortune of finding out that my secret santa loves banana cream pie! So in the spirit of holidays and Pi, I am going to make mini banana cream pies to accompany my ornament. 

Banana Cream Pie 
(adapted from Bakers Royale)

Ingredients:

For the crust:
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup sugar
8 tbsp unsalted butter, melted

For the filling:
1 ½ bananas, 1/2 banana for divided use
1 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup corn starch
1/2 cup sugar, plus 2 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/4 kosher salt

Directions:
1. Line a cupcake pan with paper cups. Mix graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter together.  Press into the bottoms of the cupcake pan. Bake for about 6-8 minutes at 350.  I had enough to make a small pie on the side in a small cake pan.
2. Place all ingredients in food processor bowl or blender and process to combine. Pour mixture into a saucepan over medium heat and cook until mixture starts to bubble, making sure to constantly whisk. Continue to cook mixture until it thickens, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
3. Assemble the mini pies by filling the cupcake slots, alternate between the custard and sliced bananas.  Top with whipped cream.
Small Cake-Pan Pie

Enjoy :)

2 comments: