I'm not sure why I'm so into trying out four different recipes at once, but this was the best idea I've ever had. For a while, I have wanted to make a million grilled cheese sandwiches and try them out. Brian is pretty into any recipe that involves bread, cheese, and tomatoes so grilled cheese is basically what he eats in various forms. I found three great recipes from Closet Cooking and Oscar's Sandwiches. My mom also just made a pot roast and we have a ton of leftovers. So, I got creative and made 4 amazing grilled cheeses. And then, Brian and I ate them all...at once...
1. Spinach Pesto Grilled Cheese. It is important to look at this one first, because the spinach pesto I made inspired by Closet Cooking is what I used for every recipe that calls for pesto. This pesto is AMAZING, make it.
4 slices of bread
5 oz gruyere cheese
4 tbsp spinach pesto (see recipe below)
1. Butter two slices of bread. On the non-buttered side of one slice, spread the pesto and then top with half the gruyere. Spread pesto on the other non-buttered side of the other slice and place on top. Heat a skillet to medium heat and place sandwich on skillet. Flip after 4 minutes or so and grill other side, or until you have a beautiful grilled cheese. Makes 2 sandwiches.
1 cup packed baby spinach
1/4 cup chopped mix herbs (mint, baby dill, and basil)
1 garlic clove
2 tbsp toasted chopped pecans
1/4 cup feta cheese
3 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest
salt and pepper to taste
1. Place all ingredients in a food processor and process until well-mixed.
2. Cheddar, Apple, and Spinach Grilled Cheese. This one is great because Brian refuses to eat spinach and I think spinach is wonderful. This sandwich actually made him eat spinach! If it works for my boyfriend it probably works for all children :)
4 slices bread
1 medium apple thinly sliced
1/2 cup baby spinach
2 tbsp dijon mustard
1 cup light cheddar cheese
Butter two slices of bread. On non-buttered sides, spread dijon mustard. Then assemble sandwich: cheese, then apples, then spinach, then more cheese. Place sandwich on medium heat on the skillet and grill until perfection about 4 minutes each side. Makes 2 sandwiches.
3. Caprese Grilled Cheese. Can't make a bunch of grilled cheeses and not have any tomatoes!
4 slices of bread
2 thick tomato slices
4 slices of fresh mozzarella (1/2 inch thick)
1. Butter two slices of bread and then spread spinach pesto on the other sides. Assemble sandwich: 1 slice mozzarella, 1 tomato slice, another slice mozzarella. Grill over medium heat about 4 minutes each side or until mozzarella is nice and melted. Makes 2 sandwiches.
Note: I would totally add some balsamic vinegar to this one when I make it again.
4. Pot Roast Grilled Cheese. What to do with leftover pot roast? Here's a solution:
2 slices of bread
1/4 cup shredded pot roast (already cooked and warm)
1/2 cup light cheddar cheese
1 tbsp dijon mustard
1/4 cup caramelized onions (saute some onion slices (I used white) in olive oil for 10 minutes or so over medium heat)
1. Butter 2 slices of bread. On non-buttered side spread some dijon mustard. Then assemble sandwich: half the cheese, shredded pot roast, onions, and other half of cheese. Top with other slice of bread and grill over medium heat about 4 minutes each side.
Note: On all of these I added some garlic powder...it's just so good! I also used whole wheat bread for all of these sandwiches. Also, I didn't really measure stuff...make it how you want it!