Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Breakfast and Boozy Cupcakes

It's my boyfriend, Brian's, 21st birthday! To celebrate this exciting occasion, I made him breakfast, and then together we made cupcakes! My Secret Santa in my fraternity got me a book called, Intoxicated Cupcakes.  It's adorable and all the cupcakes are based off of drinks and involve booze.  Brian picked out the mojito cupcake recipe and we made them!  To be honest, I made them and Brian did the dishes, but I think that was for the best :).

For breakfast, I made pancakes (not from scratch because I was tired).  They turned out really great and I highly recommend them.  The mix was from target and it was an apple pancake mix with a cinnamon streusel topping.  We topped them with REAL maple syrup from Canada.  MMM!


In the afternoon we made the Mojito Cupcakes.  They came out amazing! Now it's off to dinner with his family and then hanging out with all his friends!

Mojito Cupcakes with Lime Buttercream Frosting
(adapted from Intoxicated Cupcakes)

Ingredients: 
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 stick unsalted butter
2 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
3 tbsp dark rum (we used Captain Morgan)
zest from 1/2 lime
1 tsp lime juice
1/2 cup finely chopped mint
1/2 cup light sour cream

Frosting:
5 tbsp unsalted butter
1 1/2 tsp dark rum
1 tbsp milk (I used skim)
1 tbsp mint, finely chopped
1 tbsp lime juice
2 cups confectioners' sugar
2-4 drops green food coloring (I put WAY too much in)
1/2 lime zest for garnish (optional)


Brian's 1st Legal Beer!

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.  Line a cupcake pan with 12 liners (I was able to make 15)
2. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking power, and salt.  
3.  In a large bowl, beat sugar and butter until light at fluffy.  Add eggs one at a time and mix well.  Add lime zest, juice, rum, and mint and continue to mix until well incorporated.
4. Alternate between adding the flour mixture and sour cream in about 3 additions.
5. Pour batter into cupcake liners and bake for about 15-18 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.  Mine took around 20 because they were pretty large cupcakes. Remove from oven and cool completely.
6. To make the frosting, mix all ingredients except for the sugar, food coloring, and zest.  Slowly add sugar and mix well.  Add in the food coloring until you have the desired green coloring.  Frost or pipe cupcakes and add lime zest or lime slices as garnish.
Enjoy :)

Source: VeganYumYum
my cupcakes looked a little awkward because
of how green the frosting came out...
this is what they should look like :)

No comments:

Post a Comment