Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Magic Custard Cake

So I just had to give it a try.  That famous Magic Custard Cake that is all over the internet! I was super curious about if it would work and so I just had to make it!

But first, ability grouping.  Any teachers out there who use ability grouping?  I am a math teacher and I am not so sure how I feel about it.  I am giving it a try and we will see how it works out.  I am curious to see how it will work in a supported classroom.  If anyone has advice on this topic, I would love to hear it.  This is my latest teacher "lesson" that I am learning.  The other one: never give back a test at the beginning of class...bad move.  The kids were distracted for the rest of class.  As an experiment, I handed back the tests in the other class at the end...it was WAY better.  Guess I had to learn that one the hard way.

Second, and a bit of a warning, I am beyond exhausted and stressed out this week and that is mostly why I just had to share something "magical" like this Magic Custard Cake.  It is the first week back from Spring Break, I am giving two Team Tests, which means tons of grading, and I have my first teacher interview this Friday.  This means, travel, missing school, and having very little time to prepare for what is sort of a big deal.  Oy vey!  Somebody cut me another slice...or three...of that cake!

And third, I can't explain how important running is to me right now.  It is the only time of the day where I get to spend time feeling good and doing something completely by myself.  Today I ran 5 miles and I felt great.  The downside, after school, tutoring, running, and planning,  I have very little time at night to get some of these thoughts and recipes down in a blog post.  By the way, I brought this cake into school.  This has been a great way to ration my desserts (so that I don't eat three slices at once...) and all the teachers loved it! It does actually split into three amazing layers!  Everyone was amazed at how "sophisticated" it looked with all its layers.  They were impressed to find out how simple it actually ways!  Basically, this cake is amazing!

Magic Custard Cake (adapted from White On Rice Couple)


Ingredients:
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 cups skim milk
4 eggs, separated
1 1/4 cups powdered sugar, plus more for sprinkling
1 tbsp water
1 cup flour
1 tsp vanilla

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 325 and lightly grease a 9 inch round cake pan.
2. Melt the butter in the microwave and set aside to cool.
3. Warm the milk in the microwave for 30 seconds and set aside.
4. Place egg whites in a medium bowl and whip until they hold a stiff peak.
5. In another large bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar until pale yellow.  Beat in the water and butter until well combined, about two minutes.  Slowly beat in the flour until just combined.  Slowly beat in the milk and vanilla.  Beat slowly until well combined.
6. Fold in egg whites 1/3 at a time and fold until just combined.  Pour batter into your prepared cake pan.
7. Bake for 55 minutes or until golden in color.  Remove and let cool in the pan for 1 hour.  Dust with extra powdered sugar before serving.

Enjoy :)

3 comments:

  1. I love custard, this is a must-try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! My name is Irena and I would like to invite you to my blog! Easy, Google translates everything :) no problem with talking :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, you inspired me! :) and I'm really no baker.. I made mine with mixed berry compote:

    http://memoirsofalondonkitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/magic-custard-cake-with-warm-berry.html

    ReplyDelete