Monday, April 8, 2013

French Silk Pie

How have I not shared this pie?!?!
I made this for Pi Day way back when and I haven't gotten around to telling you about it.  This makes me sad because this was an amazingly good pie.  Plus, I tried a new technique with my pie crust and it was amazing!

But, first, today is half marathon Monday and I am excited to announce that I am 48 days away from race day! I am two weeks into training and things are going great.  Plus, the weather is getting nicer out and I get to run outside again! This week I am going to run 4 miles today and Wednesday, 6 miles Thursday, 3 miles Friday, and 8 miles Saturday! Along with this, I am still doing my Jillian Michaels on Sundays.

Also, I have applied to even more schools and now I am just waiting to hear back! I will keep you all posted!

So anyways, back to pie.  For the crust, I made my usual all butter crust, but I added a tsp of Apple Cider Vinegar.  This made it easier to roll the pie dough out and I ended up with an amazing flaky crust.  The pie filling was adapted from Taste of Home and it was delicious! Plus, after you bake the crust, all you have to do is pour the filling in and chill it.  That's right, you don't have to actually bake the pie!  And, it was amazing!

French Silk Pie


Ingredients:
For the Crust:
1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup cold, unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
2-3 tbsp ice water
For the Filling:
2/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
2/3 heavy whipping cream
2 tsp powdered sugar
whipped cream for topping, optional

Directions:
1. Make the crust.  In a food processor, place flour, sugar and salt.  Process to mix.  Keep processing and add cubes of butter until you have a mixture that resembles wet sand.  Add in the vinegar and 1 tbsp of water at a time until dough forms into a ball.  Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 450.  Once dough is chilled, lightly flour a surface and roll dough out until you have a circle about 12 inches in diameter.  Place in 9 inch pie pan and trim edges.  Cover with foil  Place in oven and bake for 5 minutes, remove foil and bake for another 5 minutes or until dough is lightly browned.  Remove and let cool.
3.  Make the filling.  In a small saucepan, combine eggs and sugar.  Cook over low heat until mixture thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon, about 10 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and chocolate until chocolate completely melts and is well combined.
4. In a medium bowl, beat butter until light and fluffy.  Beat in chocolate mixture and beat on high for 5 minutes.  Mixture should be light and fluffy.
5.  In a separate bowl, beat whipping cream with powdered sugar until it forms a stiff peak.  Fold the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture.  Pour into pie crust and let chill for 6 hours or overnight.
6.  Once chilled, top with whipped cream if you want and serve!

Enjoy :)

1 comment: