Sunday, January 6, 2013

Lightened-Up Baked Spinach and Artichoke Dip

Today is a big cooking day for me.  I am going back to school where I typically get lunch and dinner at my house.  However, since school is not in session for the University for another two weeks.  I have two weeks without lunch or dinner.  So, I am cooking up a storm so that I can take back some delicious items to eat!  I'm working on some of my Mommy's favorite recipes: Maple Glazed Salmon and Cranberry Chicken.  This way, I will have two lovely entrees that I can eat on their own, or in a sandwich or salad!  These dishes are versatile and delicious.  Next, I am making a no-mayo chicken salad so that I have a nice protein-rich snack or sandwich item.  Then, I am making a brown butter balsamic and sage sauce to use as something to top off pastas.  This way, I will have a ton of options for the next few weeks.  Between these things and eating out with friends, I am sure I will survive.

But first, I want to share a recipe with you that I made over winter break in Charleston.  We had a lovely little football party for the Rosebowl and I made a ton of snack-foods for it.  This was my personal favorite.  Bri was also a huge fan as it was one of the vegetarian options.  This is a Lightened-Up Baked Spinach and Artichoke Dip.  I was inspired by the Alton Brown recipe on the Food Network.  I hope you like it! It was so good!  Also, spinach is a crazy good-for-you super food! Well-Being Secrets even posted an article with a million reasons why you should eat all the spinach you can get! Check it out: 34 Science-Backed Health Benefits of Spinach.

Lightened-Up Baked Spinach and Artichoke Dip

Ingredients:
1 cup thawed frozen spinach
1 can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
6 oz low-fat cream cheese
1/4 cup light sour cream
1/4 cup non-fat plain Greek Yogurt (I used Chobani)
1/3 cup fresh parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
1/2-3/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
Optional: Round Rye Loaf

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350.  If you are using the bread, cut a circle in the top and scoop out the insides so that you have a bread bowl.  If you are not using the bread, take out an oven-proof dish.
2. Sautee the spinach in a small pan over medium heat until cooked.  Drain and set aside.
3.  In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, sour cream, and yogurt.  Stir in the spinach, chopped artichokes, parmesan, red pepper, salt, and garlic powder.  Place the mixture in the bread bowl or other dish, sprinkle with parmesan cheese, and bake for 30-45 minutes or until the cheese has lightly browned on top.
4. Serve with crackers, bread, veggies, or other dipping items!

Enjoy :)

2 comments:

  1. The dip looks really good! I'm going back to work tomorrow, and I think I'm going to try to cook a few healthy meals that I can take with me for a 'packed lunch'.

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this on Foodie Friends Friday, and had to come over and get a closer look! This is one of my favorite dips...thanks for a lighter version that I can enjoy more often! :) Good luck this semester!
    ~Joy from Yesterfood

    ReplyDelete