Well, I sort of had a reason. I really wanted to use coconut oil to make pie crust, and then I was also craving dessert.
I used Tropical Traditions Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil. This stuff is fantastic and if you've never cooked or baked with coconut oil you need to change that. It is great as a butter substitute and it is way better for you than all that butter! I used it to make a great crust for tarts! If you want to make a pie, you can double this recipe to get enough dough for 1 9 inch pie crust.
I made this super yummy, flaky pie crust and it was perfect!!!
Coconut Oil Whole Wheat Crust
(makes enough for 4 mini tarts)
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp white whole wheat flour
1/2 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
pinch of cinnamon
1/4 cup cold coconut oil (it should be solid)
up to 2 tbsp cold water
1. Place the flour, sugar, salt, and cinnamon in a food processor and pulse a few times to combine.
2. Add in the coconut oil and pulse until mixture resembles wet sand.
3. Slowly add in water, 1/2 tbsp at a time, until mixture forms into a ball.
4. Roll the dough into a rounded disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least an hour.
5. Now, either use to make a pre-baked mini tart or pie. For a pre-baked tart, divide dough into 4 and press into your mini tart pans. You may need to add a little water if the dough breaks apart. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes, let cool and fill with your tart filling!
Win 1 quart of Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil!
Tropical Traditions is America’s source for coconut oil. Their Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil is hand crafted in small batches by family producers, and it is the highest quality coconut oil they offer. You can read more about how virgin coconut oil is different from other coconut oils on their website: What is Virgin Coconut Oil?
Tropical Traditions also carries other varieties of affordable high quality coconut oil. Visit their website to check on current sales, to learn about the many uses of coconut oil, and to read about all the advantages of buying coconut oil online. Since the FDA does not want us to discuss the health benefits of coconut oil on a page where it is being sold or given away, here is the best website to read about the health benefits of coconut oil.
To enter to win: subscribe to http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/subscribe_for_special_sales.cfm, let me know in a comment below!
For additional entries:
- Follow BinomialBaker and leave a comment.
- Like BinomialBaker on Facebook and leave a comment.
- Subscribe to this Blog and let me know.
- Follow me on twitter: @JodieBerman21 and leave a comment.
- Tweet about the Giveaway: I just entered the giveaway for Tropical Traditions Coconut Oil at @JodieBerman21! And leave a comment!
- If you already follow/like/subscribe, just let me know in separate comments bellow :)
This giveaway will close in one week!
Disclaimer: Tropical Traditions provided me with a free sample of this product to review, and I was under no obligation to review it if I so chose. Nor was I under any obligation to write a positive review or sponsor a product giveaway in return for the free product.