Saturday, September 22, 2012

Chocolate Chip Blueberry Zucchini Bread

I had a really good teaching day!  My cooperating teacher told me that in the past students have not performed very well on standardized tests on the order of operations problems.  So, we decided to have an order of operations review day!  She found a great introduction video at Khan Academy and I made a worksheet to accompany the video lecture.  The worksheet helped them to take notes.  They had a word box with words and numbers that they can use to fill in blanks as they listen to the 10 minute lecture.  Some of the more advanced kids did not need to word box, but some of the other students found it really helpful! They were all engaged.  Then, for homework they had a worksheet with a bunch of examples.  Normally, many students do not do their homework or do not know all of it, but this assignment was a success! Many students completed the problems and did them well! It was really great to see how engaged they were and how accessible the material was to them.

I think it was a really great idea to switch up the class and have a video.  The students were not expecting it and it was a nice change of pace.  The worksheet to help them follow along allowed them to take control of their learning and provided them with a reference sheet for their homework.  Then, the homework allowed them to apply the concepts.  Overall, it felt like a great lesson and it made me smile.

You know what else makes me smile?  My mom's zucchini bread.  I needed to use up the last of the zucchini I had in my fridge and so I decided to make this awesome treat.  I adapted her recipe a tad to be a little healthier and then I threw in some chocolate chips and dried blueberries.  I ended up with a fantastic, moist loaf of bread.  I came home from school today with a smile on my face and then I shoved a slice of that bread in my mouth.  It's been a good day!

Chocolate Chip Blueberry Zucchini Bread




Stuffed with chocolate chips and blueberries!

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup non-fat greek yogurt (I used Chobani)
2 zucchini, grated
1/4 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup dried blueberries

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 and lightly grease a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, and nutmeg together.
3. In a large bowl, beat brown sugar, sugar, and yogurt together. Beat in the eggs until well combined.  Mix in the flour mixture until just combined.  Fold in the zucchini, chocolate, and blueberries.  Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
4. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.  Let cool in pan for 10 minutes.  Keep stored in the fridge.

...I couldn't wait
Enjoy :)

1 comment:

  1. You have so awesome blog! :) I like baking too, and i will definetly follow you! :)

    Go check on my blog: http://passengerandthebaker.blogspot.fi/

    ReplyDelete