Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Death By Oreos Cupcakes

Today I am sharing with you some very exciting news! I was recently awared two more awards! Jen over at Love Food Cook Food awarded me the Kreativ Blogger Award and the Sunshine Award.  Her blog is fantastic and you should all head on over there and check it out! Thanks Jen for noticing my blog!!!

For the Kreativ Blogger I am supposed to share 10 things about myself:
  • I love running and I am training for a half marathon
  • I am a SENIOR (as of last week) at UW-Madison
  • I am a future math teacher
  • I have a permanent bruise on my leg (weird right?)
  • I have been in 10 community theater productions
  • This summer I am the site director at a day camp
  • I can't survive without coffee
  • I eat an apple with some peanut butter every day and I make sure that I am always fully stocked on these supplies
  • When I was in middle school, I only wore one contact
  • I have two cute kitties named Ricky and Lucy :)

For the Sunshine Award, I am supposed to share some of my favorite things (I hear a song coming on...)
  • Favorite Color: Purple!
  • Favorite Animal: My cats are pretty awesome, but I'm also a big fan of penguins
  • Favorite Number: 21
  • Favorite Drink: Kiddie Cocktail 
  • Facebook or Twitter?: Facebook
  • Passion: Sharing my cooking creations and teaching
  • Getting or Giving Presents?: Getting!-Not because I am selfish, but because giving stresses me out and I feel like I can never pick out the perfect present! Getting presents is much less stressful because I truly appreciate whatever I get.
  • Favorite Pattern: Polka-Dots!
  • Favorite Day of the Week: The weekends of course! I get to sleep a little!
  • Favorite Flower: Not a huge flower fan, but it is super romantic to get them as a surprise on Valentine's Day:  

Of course, I was also planning on sharing a fantastic recipe with you all.  So, before I tell you about some other fantastic bloggers who deserve these awards...Death by Oreos Cupcakes inspired by Food Snots.  I got the recipe for the chocolate cupcakes from 52 Kitchen Adventures and then I went to town with the oreos!  Seriously, there are oreos on the bottom, smashed in the middle, and of course, in the oreo cream cheese frosting! Yum!

Death By Oreos Cupcakes

Ingredients:
1 package of regular oreos
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
8 oz light cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup powdered sugar


Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare 16 cupcake wells.  Place a cupcake wrapper in each well and 1 whole oreo on the bottom. Take half of the remaining oreos and roughly chop them.  Place the roughly copped oreos in a small bowl off to the side.  With the other half of the oreos, place them in a food processor and chop until finely ground.  Place in a small bowl off to the side.
2. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in eggs one at a time until well combined.
3. In a small bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder.
4. In a separate small bowl, whisk milk and vanilla.
5. Alternate adding the dry ingredients and the milk to the butter mixture, starting with the dry ingredients and ending with the dry ingredients.  Mix until well combined. Stir in the roughly chopped oreos.
6. Scoop batter into the cupcake wells so that they are half full.  Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let cool.
7. Make the frosting: Beat the cream cheese until light and fluffy.  Slowly, beat in the powdered sugar until well combined.  Mix in the vanilla.  Finally, mix in the finely ground oreos.  Frost the cooled cupcakes and...
Enjoy :)

And now...drum roll please...I give you some fabulous bloggers who are super KREATIV and full of SUNSHINE :)

Please stop by these blogs and enjoy them as much as I do!




37 comments:

  1. What fun! And those cupcakes look incredible! Definitely need a big glass of milk to go with them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the blog award and these cupcakes look amazing! Not sure I could eat just one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Somehow, I actually did only eat just one...crazy willpower.

      Delete
  3. Oreos in cupcakes...that does make for a delicious winner! Wish I had a few of those gems in front of me-yum.
    Congrats on the awards friend-very deserving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They were pretty fantastic...I could have just taken a spoon to the oreo-cream cheese frosting!

      Delete
  4. How sinful and delicious! I want one! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were great! By the way, I am making your pizza recipe tonight!

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on the awards! I came over because I saw the title, "Death by Oreos" and then I stumbled upon an award!

    You are TOO sweet! Thank you SO much!

    And by sweet, I mean you offer oreo cupcakes. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oreos in cupcakes? that is brilliant! these look sooo amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that oreos can make anything better :)

      Delete
  7. Go Madison! I am also a Madisonian blogger. I blog at Badger Girl Learns to Cook (http://www.learntocookbadgergirl.com). So are you finishing up classes this week? I think these cupcakes are perfect for finals.
    Glad I found you through foodbuzz. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your blog! I already follow it :) I am all done with finals and back in Chicago for my summer job. However, I am already planning weekend trips to Madison to visit friends and of course go to the farmer's market!

      Delete
  8. Yummy...oreos cupcake...they look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What wonderful cupcakes. I will bet it was very flavorful. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You are so welcome! That's my favorite part of baking...the sharing (well after the eating of course :))

      Delete
  10. Thank you so much for the award! Am I supposed to give it on to others?

    The cupcakes look wonderful. Wish I had one. I love anything with Oreos in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can pass it on to 10 other bloggers! And I'm glad you enjoyed the recipe!

      Delete
  11. Thank you so much! You are just too sweet. I'll pass these along shortly. Thank you for the lovely comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww...you're very welcome! I love your blog!

      Delete
  12. These cupcakes look deliciously fun! I'll definitely be trying them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your cupcakes are awesome almost always :D. love the pics... yum yum...

    ReplyDelete
  14. thanks for the linkback lady! you are too sweet!

    and those cupcakes. yes, please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! I love your blog! And thank you :)

      Delete
  15. This is such a genius idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful desert. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My family would absolutely love these!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That sure looks like one amazing cupcake!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Drooling over your oreo cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Death by Oreos? Can't think of a better way to go ;)

    Congrats on your awards as well!

    ReplyDelete