Sunday, May 20, 2012

Caramelized Onion Greek Yogurt Dip

On Saturday, my Iowa Adventure continued! I started the day off with a 5 mile run because I knew I would be up WAY before Bri and his brother.  Unfortunately, it was not my best run.  It was already almost 80 degrees out (even at 9 in the morning) and it was super sunny.  Also, I didn't get to have coffee because the cafes were not opened yet...tragic! So, I did my best, but I ended up being pretty grumpy and dehydrated.  On the plus side, following my run/shower we all went to lunch at this fantastic place called the Comeback Cafe.  I got a really tasty wrap, large cup of coffee, and GIANT glass of water.  The cutest part of this place was that it was packed with Grinnell students and if you were a college student you could get a cup of their cinnamon rice pudding for free!


Following lunch, the boys headed off to play basketball and I hung out with some of the girls.  I got to see more student dorms and meet some people.  It was really nice, and I didn't have to play basketball! (Phew!). Then, we went to the PALS shelter where Bri's brother volunteers, and got to play with the animals! I met an adorable kittie named Mandy, and I seriously considered adopting her.  Then, I remembered that I was in college and would have to find a place for dear Mandy to live.  I will have to wait on this, but someday it is happening!

Mandy!
For dinner, we went to the Grinnell Steakhouse (not ideal for Bri, a vegetarian), but they did have a fantastic salad bar complete with really yummy mac and cheese and baked potatoes.  We still all indulged in a hearty meal and it was a good time.  Then, it was dessert time!

Bri's brother took us to the Dari Barn, which was actually a tiny barn where you order your treat and eat it outside.  We all got the "famous" cyclones and it was delicious! I had mine with vanilla frozen yogurt and M&Ms.  It wasn't the most creative, but sometimes you have to go back to the basics.  I was a very happy camper. 

That night we watched Serendipity, which I had never seen, and then crashed.  We were all pretty exhausted and we knew that the next day was going to be an early start (well early for Bri and his brother).  

This trip has been so much fun! Admittedly, I did not have very high expectations of Iowa.  Most people told me it was pretty boring, but I have had a great time! I have met really great people, eaten at some awesome restaurants, and my run allowed me to check out the surrounding area as well as campus. 
First Impression..
Of course, today I am also sharing a recipe with you that I absolutely love.  Last week, I made the Vegetarian Boeuf Bourguignon and bought WAY too many onions.  So, lately I have been putting caramelized onions in just about anything and everything.  I made this Caramelized Onion Greek Yogurt dip that I found on one of my favorite blogs, How Sweet It Is.  It tastes great with veggies or crackers and it is an awesome snack.  I especially like how the greek yogurt is full of protein and it is nice to have after working out!


Caramelized Onion Greek Yogurt Dip (adapted from How Sweet It Is)

Ingredients: 
2 medium sweet onions, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tbsp salted, low-fat butter
16 oz non-fat greek yogurt
1 tsp salt
2 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp nutmeg

Directions:
1. In a saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the olive oil and butter.  Mix in the onions until coated and then cook, covered for 45 minutes, stirring every 5-10 minutes.  Onions should be nicely browned and softened.  Mix in 1 tsp of brown sugar and cook for another 5 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in the other tsp of brown sugar.
2. In a bowl, mix greek yogurt with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and nutmeg.  Mix in the onions. 
Enjoy :)



No comments:

Post a Comment