When I was still in Madison, I was trying to use up a bunch of my supplies via baking. This is one of the creations I made: Olive Oil Lemon Cake. I was skeptical because of the olive oil, but I would be able to use up my lemon juice, powdered sugar, and olive oil so I decided it was worth trying. It turned out really great and the small twist on taste due to the olive oil was really very good. This recipe is light and lemon-y and perfect for a summer picnic or even breakfast!
Mini Olive Oil Lemon Cakes (adapted from Completely Delicious)
3/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp lemon zest
1 cup flour
5 egg yolks
4 egg whites
3/4 cup + 1 tbsp sugar
1 cup powdered sugar
1-1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 350 and grease 3 small loaf pans (the original recipe was for one large loaf pan, but I didn't have one).
2. Mix zest with the flour in a small bowl.
3. In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks with 1/2 cup of sugar for about 3 minutes or until mixture is stiff and very pale. Slowly beat in the olive oil and 1 1/2 tbsp of lemon juice. Add flour mixture and fold in with a spatula.
4. In a separate large bowl, beat the egg whites on high until foamy. Beat in 1/4 cup of sugar and continue to beat on high until a soft peak forms. Fold the egg whites into the other mixture with a spatula. Pour batter into the prepared loaf pans and sprinkle with some sugar. Bake until inserted toothpick comes out clean, about 30-35 minutes.
5. Make the glaze: In a medium bowl, mix the powdered sugar with about 1 tbsp of lemon juice. Add lemon juice until you have a desired consistency and taste. Drizzle the glaze over the cooled lemon cakes.