Thursday, June 11, 2015

Veggie and Black Bean Enchiladas

I just love enchiladas.  They are a great way to get a ton of veggies into your dinner and they are so tasty! I am trying to be a little healthier now that it is summer and I am beginning to really focus on my wedding.  I want to get in shape and lose a few pounds, but I don't want to go crazy since I still have more than a year!  So, my plan is to incorporate veggies into all my meals, portion control, and stay away from all those delicious desserts (which is going to be the biggest challenge!).  This meal was a great way to kick of my healthy-eating plan and I am definitely going to be making these again soon! 

Veggie and Black Bean Enchiladas

Ingredients:
8 whole wheat tortillas or gluten-free
1 can red enchilada sauce
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
extra virgin olive oil
1 eggplant, peeled and diced
1 zucchini, quartered
1 squash, quartered
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
pinch of cayenne
1/2 red onion, chopped
your favorite salsa
your favorite shredded cheese, I used a blend
3 green onions, chopped (optional)
1 avocado, sliced (optional)

Directions:
1. In a large pan, pour 1 tbsp of olive oil and heat over medium.  Add in the eggplant, zucchini, and squash.  Season with cumin, salt, pepper, and cayenne.  Toss to combine and cook until veggies start to soften.  Add in olive oil as needed.  Set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and pour a little enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9 by 13 inch pan.  
3. In each tortilla, place a couple spoonfuls of the veggie mixture, a spoonful of salsa, some black beans, shredded cheese, and chopped red onion.  Roll the tortilla and place seam down in the prepared pan.  
4. Once all the tortillas are done, pour the rest of the enchilada sauce over the tops and sprinkle with some more cheese.  Cover in tinfoil and place in oven for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted.
5. Top with some green onion and avocado slices.

Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment