Thursday, September 10, 2015

Vegetarian Brussel Sprout Carbonara

School has been going pretty well.  Yesterday, the students were all taking the ACT test and so I had a chance to catch up on some work! This made me feel slightly less overwhelmed.  Now, when I say overwhelmed, I mean I am just really busy.  I am also really happy!  I can't wait to get cheerleading started and I feel like I am finally getting a good grasp on what I need to do for my classes.  I have a ton to do this weekend, but I think I am in a really good place over all!

One of my favorite parts about my new schedule is that I am able to work out before school.  I still wake up at the same time that I would have in order to commute to my old school, but since my commute is 1 hour (I KNOW!) shorter, I am able to get in a workout and a shower before heading over to school. This means that when I come home, I have more time to actually make dinner because I already did my workout!

Vegetarian Brussel Sprout Carbonara was one of the meals I was able to make when I got home from school.  I was inspired by the recipe over at Skinny Taste, and then I adapted it to make it vegetarian.  It was very yummy.  I loved the combination of the brussel sprouts with the parmesan pasta.  Plus, there was plenty for me and Bri to have for dinner as well as leftovers to bring for lunch.  It was a great weeknight meal!

Vegetarian Brussel Sprout Carbonara

Ingredients:
2 eggs
3/4 parmesan cheese, shredded
a handful of basil, chopped
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
12 oz whole wheat spaghetti pasta
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 shallot, chopped
12 oz shaved brussel sprouts
salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:
1. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs.  Add in 1/2 cup of the parmesan cheese, basil, and red pepper flakes.
2. Bring a large pot of water to boiling and cook pasta according to directions until al dente.  Reserve 1 cup of pasta water.  Drain and set aside.
3. While pasta is boiling, in a separate, large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.  Add in the garlic, shallots, and brussel sprouts.  Cook for about 10 minutes or until brussel sprouts start to soften and brown.
4. Add the drained pasta to the skillet.
5. With the reserved pasta water, spoon a few tbsp at a time into the egg mixture mixing well.  Do this until about 1/4 of the water has been added.  Then, add the egg mixture to the skillet and toss with the pasta and brussel sprouts.  Add more pasta water if needed.  Finish with sprinkling the remaining parmesan cheese over the top.

Enjoy :)





No comments:

Post a Comment