Now, I am sitting here, writing this post, because I just can't wait to share this fun recipe and I am too anxious just watching the election results roll in. This is the most invested in an election I have ever been. It has been a great learning experience for me and, as my teaching career takes off, I can't wait to become more knowledgeable about government and politics in the future!
I know that politics can be stressful. Just this night is crazy exciting. So, grab one of these awesome donuts and a nice cup of warm apple cider. Curl up in front of the TV and try to relax with all this crazy election stuff going on. Or, bake in the morning to celebrate or comfort yourself with...whatever you do just enjoy these great mini donuts!
Baked Whole Wheat Apple Cider Donuts (adapted from TheKitchn)
makes 48 mini donuts
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
dash of nutmeg
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup honey (I used some honey and some agave nectar)
1/3 cup apple cider
1/3 cup non-fat greek yogurt (I used Chobani)
2 tbsp canola oil
1 apple, peeled and chopped (I used a large granny smith apple)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and lightly grease a mini donut pan.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
3. In a large bowl, beat the egg, brown sugar, butter, vanilla, honey, apple cider, greek yogurt, and canola oil. Mix until well combined. Stir in the dry ingredients until just combined.
4. Fill the donut pan about 3/4 full with the batter and then place pieces of apple on top.
5. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Continue until you use up all your batter. Let cool and dust with powdered sugar, cinnamon sugar, or just enjoy plain!