Yet again, I am up WAY too early. I've already had enough time to eat breakfast, get dressed, buy a cupcake at the bakery, and bake a coffee cake (mom's favorite recipe). However, I feel pretty good about this mornings accomplishments. Now, I've got a cupcake to give my camp director in honor of her birthday and a coffee cake to share with everyone for the occasion.
I think birthdays are crazy important. They are the only day of the year that you have a holiday all about you. It should be celebrated! Also, it's a super rainy/stormy morning and baking just seemed like a lovely thing to do. Now, I'm sitting here waiting in a kitchen that smells delicious and getting ready for camp. We are supposed to tye-dye today and today is "backwards" day. However, with all this rain and pending storms, I'm not so sure that our day is going to go as planned. At least I have cake!
Yogurt Coffee Cake
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 cup sugar
8 oz. non-fat vanilla yogurt
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 heaping tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp all spice
pinch of salt
6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 10 inch tube pan.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, all spice, and salt.
3. In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar, yogurt, vanilla, and eggs until well combined. Beat in the dry ingredients until just combined and then mix in the chocolate chips.
4. In a small bowl, mix topping ingredients together.
5. Pour half the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle half of the topping ingredients on top. Pour the rest of the batter in and sprinkle the rest of the topping on top. Bake for 45 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.