Friday, July 20, 2012

Sweet Potato Ice Cream and Another Camp Treat

It's July and July means two very fantastic things: National Ice Cream Month and My Birthday! Tomorrow is my birthday and I am so excited! I can't wait to share all the fun things I end up doing, but first I wanted to share and Ice Cream Recipe I tried out when I was feeling super adventurous.

I love ice cream.  Like, it's an unhealthy obsession.  To attempt to satisfy my constant ice cream cravings and my desire to be healthy, I usually just opt for frozen yogurt, or small portions.  I could never cut it out completely, it just makes me too happy! One day, when I was craving ice cream, but wanted to be healthy, I found a recipe for Sweet Potato Ice Cream.  I was completely baffled, but figured it probably tasted a little like Pumpkin ice cream and therefore I could be okay with it.  I gave it a shot.  To be honest, my family and I tried the ice cream, and then threw it all out! We were not fans, too healthy.  However, I can see the appeal of this ice cream.  If you are a serious sweet potato lover or if you add a ton of marshmallow cream or something, this stuff can be super appealing.

Sweet Potato Ice Cream (adapted from Cherry Tea Cakes)

Ingredients:
3 medium sweet potatoes
1 1/2 cups half and half
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves

Directions:
1.  Bake the sweet potatoes in the oven at 400 for 1 hour and then let cool completely.  Peel the potatoes.
2. Place peeled potatoes, half and half, brown sugar, and spices in a food processor and process until smooth.  Place in ice cream maker and freeze according to directions.  Place in freezer for at least 2 hours to harden and set.
Enjoy :)

And now, a quick treat that was a much bigger success: Edible Oceans! At camp this week, it is water week and so all the activities are water themed and we spend lots of time dumping water on the campers to keep them cool.  Edible Oceans are a great special camp snack for the week.  All it is is blue jell-o and swedish fish.  They LOVED it!



3 comments:

  1. the edible oceans are soooo cute! i'll have to do them for my little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOWWW that sounds so interesting and sooooo delic!!!

    ReplyDelete