Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Gluten Free Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins

This morning I woke up 30 minutes before my alarm...so I made muffins!

I've wanted to make a gluten free muffin so that I could share it with my staff at work.  Two of the counselors can't have gluten and it makes me sad when I bring in treats that can't be enjoyed by everyone.  So I found a gluten free recipe and I gave it a try.  There were a few problems, though.  First, I didn't have the flour that the recipe suggested and second, I didn't have the right oil either.  So I improvised a little...

And, it turned out...okay... They were super moist (too moist) but they tasted fantastic! Plus, these little morsels are light and yummy.  This is the perfect little muffin to enjoy for breakfast, plus it is gluten free!

Now, what should I do with the rest of my morning?  I still have 1 hour before I need to leave!

Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins (adapted from Bakerita)




Ingredients:
1/4 cup almond flour
2 tbsp old-fashioned oats (gluten free)
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
2 eggs
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup agave
1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini (don't pack it down and then drain out the excess water)
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 and lightly grease a mini muffin pan.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, oats, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
3. In a large bowl, beat eggs, oil, agave and zucchini until well combined.  Mix in the flour mixture until combined.  Stir in the chocolate chips.
4. Fill muffin pan up to the top (they don't rise much) and bake for about 20-22 minutes.
Enjoy :)


7 comments:

  1. These look great you deserve a couple awards so I nominated you girly check em out!

    http://abpetite.blogspot.com/2012/07/tin-foil-tilapia.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit that I'm very intrigued by the taste of zucchini and chocolate. These look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was super yummy. My friends thought they tasted more like a spiced muffin or pumpkin muffin. They were shocked there was zucchini in there!

      Delete
  3. Sounds absolutely delicious! I would so love to try some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you tried this recipe - they are super duper moist, which is why it's so important to squeeze out ALL the excess water of the zucchini.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I did that, but maybe I should have squeezed out even more? And I'm sure my flour choice made a difference.

      Delete