Eggplant Rollatini is something that Chris sort of made up after having something similar at a nice French restaurant. It's eggplant rolled up with a cheese and spinach mixture, coated in a bit of flour, egg, and breadcrumbs, and then deep fried for a minute to get it a little crispy. Can you say yum? It's so good!
1 cup ricotta
1/2 cup Boursin with Garlic and Fine Herbs
10 oz. frozen spinach, thawed and with all the water squeezed out
1/2 cup artichoke hearts, drained and roughly chopped
2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
3/4 tsp Italian seasoning
salt and pepper
2 medium eggplants
1 cup flour
1 cup breadcrumbs
marinara sauce, for serving
1 cup mozzarella cheese, for serving
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese, for serving
1. Peel the eggplant and then cut into rounds that are about 1/2 inch thick. Place on a paper towel and sprinkle with salt. Let sit for about 15 minutes so that the eggplant dries out a bit. Rinse and pat dry. Place back on the paper towel.
2. Heat a large pan over medium heat and coat with olive oil. Saute the eggplant, adding more oil as needed, until soft, about 5 minutes on each side. You want the eggplant soft enough to roll. They can turn slightly brown. Place on a paper towel lined pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Let cool.
3. Mix the ricotta, Boursin, parmesan, Italian seasoning, spinach, basil and artichoke hearts in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Spread the cheese mixture on each eggplant slice (if the slices are really small, you can stick two together using the cheese as glue to make a larger slice). Roll the eggplant up.
5. Get three plates or small wide bowls, and place flour in one, two eggs (lightly beaten) in the second one, and breadcrumbs in the third. Season the flour and bread crumbs with pepper, salt, and Italian seasoning.
6. Using tongs, pick up each eggplant roll and coat with flour, then egg mixture, and finally breadcrumbs. Place on a wire rack. Let sit for about 15 minutes so that they have time to set.
7. Using a pan or deep fryer, heat enough oil to cover an eggplant roll to 360 degrees. Deep fry each roll until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes. Place on a wire rack over a paper towel. This will allow the grease to drain off without the eggplant sitting in it. At this point you can continue to the next step, or place in the freezer until ready to serve.
8. When ready to serve, heat oven to 325, place eggplant rolls in a casserole dish, and heat for 15 minutes. Heat marinara sauce in a small saucepan, drizzle marinara over the eggplant and then sprinkle with the mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Place back in oven and heat until the cheese is melted. Serve :)
|All the Apps from The Dinner Party|