Saturday, August 2, 2014

Salmon Roll and Birthday Celebrations!

I saw this recipe on Food and Wine and I just had to give it a try! It was so easy to throw together and I would totally eat this Salmon Salad on its own! My cat was a big fan too!  Every time I took out the container of Salmon Salad, he went crazy trying to get some!  I finally caved and threw him a little piece of salmon just because he was so stinkin' cute!


But first! I promised to re-cap my birthday shenanigans at some point, so here it goes.  My birthday was on a Monday.  Of course the festivities had to start on the Friday before.  Friday, I went to Ravinia with my parents and a couple friends to see West Side Story with the CSO playing the music.  We got tons of snacks, brought in dinner from City Park Grill, and my mommy got me a red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting!


Saturday, Bri and I went downtown, had dinner at Balana, saw This Is Our Youth at the Steppenwolf, and stayed at Sofitel for the night.  It was really nice and so much fun!

Sunday, I got to see some of Bri's family when we met for dinner at the one and only: Portillos.  I just love that place!

Finally, the big day arrived: Monday.  Monday was a normal camp day for me, but all my campers sang happy birthday and it was really cute.  Then, my mom and I took the train downtown to meet up with Bri, my dad, and my bestie Caryn! We all went to dinner at Kuma's Too and had AMAZING burgers (well, except Bri who got their make-your-own mac n' cheese).  And then, we ended the night with dessert from Margies.  Everything was delicious and I could not have asked for a nicer weekend to celebrate my birthday!


After all that, I needed something fresh and light like this Salmon Roll! I adapted it a bit, so here it how my version went:

Salmon Roll

Ingredients:
1.5 lb salmon filet
salt and pepper
1/2 cup non-fat, plain greek yogurt (I used Chobani)
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 tbsp chopped chives
2 tbsp chopped parsley
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
8-10 whole wheat hot dog buns

Directions:
1. Cook salmon: sprinkle salt and pepper over the salmon filets and let bake in the oven.  I did mine for 15 minutes at 450 degrees.  Once the salmon is cooked, allow to cool.  And then flake the salmon into small chunks.
2. To make the salmon salad, in a bowl, combine the greek yogurt with the chopped chives, parsley, and lemon juice.  Stir in the salmon chunks.  
3.  To serve: scoop some salmon salad into a whole wheat hot dog bun.  It will look just like a lobster roll, but so much healthier!!!

Enjoy :) 

1 comment:

  1. I made this for starters on Christmas day, it was delicious!!! And I'll definitely make it again. I put some prawns on the side also with a little seafood sauce, just to make it look more wow. The horseradish goes perfectly with the smoked salmon.

    ReplyDelete