Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Vegetarian Pad Thai

Today is a pretty big day.  Besides being my half birthday, I am starting my first day of second semester!  This means it will be the longest I have ever been at the same school during the year.  I'm not sure if this has truly hit me yet.  I am still feeling like a student teacher and at any moment I will switch to a middle school!  I am excited about second semester and I really have been having a great year.  Today is all about Triangle Congruence! I have a lab for my students to experience over the next two days and I am excited to see how it goes!

Also, today is my first day of two online classes that I am taking to continue my education.  I am less excited about this, but the classes do seem interesting and I have never taken an online class before.  I was sort of enjoying the whole graduated thing where I didn't have to worry about personal homework or grades.  However, I do need these classes to get a permanent license for teaching and so it is totally worth it.  The first week, all I have to do is submit an introduction of myself to an online discussion.  Not so bad.

I am also still attempting to be healthy and today's recipe is perfect for that.  It is a lightened up, vegetarian version of Pad Thai.  Bri and I made this as one of the first recipes in our new apartment together.  It was super delicious and I'm actually craving it and considering making it again tonight!

Vegetarian Pad Thai
(adapted from Martha Stewart)

Ingredients:
8 oz fresh pad thai noodles
4 limes, for juice and serving
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp Siracha sauce
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp canola oil
2 eggs, lightly beaten
14 oz firm tofu
1/2 cup shredded carrots
8 green onions, sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
salt
roasted peanuts
fresh cilantro

Directions:
1. Soak noodles according to directions, drain and set aside.
2. In a large skillet, heat 1/2 tsp of canola oil over medium heat.  Add in beaten eggs and cook, undisturbed, until eggs are just set.  Place eggs on a cutting board.  Roll the eggs up and then slice into strips.  Set aside.
3. In the same skillet, add 4 tsp of canola oil and cook the tofu until golden brown, flip so that you get both sides.  This should take about 6-8 minutes for each side.  Place on cutting board and cut into small cubes.
4. In a small bowl, place 2 tbsp lime juice, soy sauce, and brown sugar.  Whisk to combine.
5. Add 1 1/2 tsp of oil to your skillet and heat over medium heat.  Add in the carrots, green onions, and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes.  Add in the lime juice mixture and let simmer.  Add noodles and, stirring constantly, cook for another minute.  Add eggs and tofu, toss to combine.
6. Serve mixture with lime wedges, roasted peanuts, and fresh cilantro.

Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment