Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Crafty: Homemade Silly Putty

My birthday is coming up and I can't say I'm that excited.  I think that it just hasn't hit me yet.  So, yesterday I went shopping with Anna in the hopes that retail therapy would help to inspire me to excited.  I did get some pretty fun outfits and I think I am starting to feel birthday ready.

Tonight, I am going to be starting my baking endeavors for my birthday and I think this will also help me to get in the birthday mood.  I am baking for my campers, counselors, and friends and I have a ton of great ideas lined up!

I have another really cool craft to share today! Last week at camp, the theme was Silly School Days and all of our art projects were like fun science experiments.  We made volcanos, oobleck, and tye-dye t-shirts.  We also made Homemade Silly Putty! This was one of my favorites and the campers loved it as well.  All you need a few simple ingredients that you might even have lying around your house!

Homemade Silly Putty
adapted from Learn Play Imagine

Ingredients:
4 tbsp white glue
2 tbsp Sta-Flo (liquid starch)
food coloring

Directions:
1. In a plastic bag, pour the glue and sta-flo.  Start kneading the bag.  If the mixture is too sticky, add sta-flo, and if the mixture is too stringy, add glue.
2.  Once your mixture looks like it is coming together, add in the food coloring and continue to knead to combine.
3. Turn the bag inside out and peel away all your silly putty.  It should look like silly putty and not stick to your hands.  If it sticks, just add a little sta-flo.

Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment