Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Red Velvet Pudding Pie

Pi day is tomorrow and I have decided that it is basically National CollegeCulinista Day.  This day combines my two favorites: baking and math.  Of course I am excited.

And here begins my pie marathon.  I am making FIVE pies (or variations on pie).  This first one was perfect because it was so simple.  It is easy to make and you can make it ahead of time!  I am bringing this one in for my school of education class to enjoy as a snack.  Enjoy the first of many pies that are about to be hitting up this blog!

Red Velvet Pudding Pie (inspired by And Now For Something Completely Delicious)


Ingredients:
1 prepared Oreo crust (9-inch) (or you can make your own!)
For the filling:
1 1/2 cup 2% milk
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder
4 eggs
1 cup buttermilk (I made my own: 1 cup milk with 1 tbsp white vinegar)
4 tbsp cornstarch
3 tbsp unsalted butter
1 tbsp red food coloring
2 tsp vanilla
For the topping:
1 cup heavy whipping cream
3 tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Directions:
1. In a medium saucepan, combine milk, cream, sugar, and cocoa powder.  Stir to dissolve the sugar and cocoa and heat until bubbles start to appear on the sides of the mixture.
2. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, buttermilk, and cornstarch. Slowly add the heated mixture, stirring constantly.  When fully combined, return to the saucepan and heat over medium-high heat.  Stir constantly, with a spatula, until mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. Do not let this boil!  Reduce the heat if necessary.
3. After five minutes, add butter, food coloring, and vanilla.  Stir until there are no more lumps. Pour into prepared crust.
4. Make the topping: Whip the cream until a soft peak forms.  Add the sugar and vanilla and whip until a medium peak forms.  Spread over the pie and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.  You can store this pie in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Enjoy :)

2 comments:

  1. What a creative and wonderful recipe - love it :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru
    Latest: Strawberry Hot Fudge Choc Cobbler

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I made three pies for my class and I think this one was the general favorite!

      Delete