Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Mini Dutch Apple Pie

Today was Pi Day and for at Future Math Teacher, this is a big deal.  Plus, as we all know, I love to bake.  Basically today is one of the best days of the year in my eyes.  I wanted to bring in a treat for my students in my math classes at practicum.  At first, I was going to make a few pies, but then I found this recipe!

My students loved them! It was the perfect way to celebrate this wonderful math holiday and show my students how much I appreciate having them around to work with.  No one teaches you how to be a teacher better than the students.

Mini Dutch Apple Pie (Inspired by Some the Wiser)




Ingredients:
For the crust:
2 2/3 cups flour
1 cup cold, unsalted butter, cut into 1 inch cubes
6 oz low-fat cream cheese
2 egg yolks
For the filling:
7-8 medium, Granny Smith Apples
1 cup sugar
4 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp lemon juice
For the topping:
1/2 cup flour
4 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp cinnamon

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
1. Make the crust: Whisk flour, butter, and cream cheese until mixture resembles clumpy, wet sand.  Add egg yolk and whisk until dough comes together.  Add a little cold water if dough is too dry.
2. Pull off clumps of dough and press evenly into the wells of a mini muffin pan (you should have enough for 48 mini pies).  Place prepared pans in fridge to cool.  Also place extra dough in fridge to cool if you are like me and only have 1 mini muffin pan.
3. Peel, core, quarter, and thinly slice apples.  Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.
4. Using a mixer, mix all the topping ingredients together until well combined.
5. Prepare mini pies by filling each muffin well with apple filling and then placing some of the topping on top.  Bake for 25 minutes, or until topping and crust is golden.  Refrigerate the apple filling if you need to wait for the first batch to finish.
Enjoy :)



6 comments:

  1. Love the ideas of the minis. Cut tie in with pie and pi. Very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so adorable - anything mini is very yum :D
    And yours are awesome!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru
    Latest: Double Nutella Cheesecake Brownies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I totally agree...I am all about mini food :)

      Delete
  3. These are too cute. I love all things mini. They look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The kiddies loved them and it was the perfect way to hand out a pie to every student!

      Delete