I have some pretty exciting news to share and it is not simply these gorgeous mini cupcakes!
Bri and I adopted a new kitty into our family!! Benny is now a big brother! We found this amazing five-month old kitten through Hyde Park Cats and per a suggestion from our vet, we adopted him. Benny has been a little hyperactive and crazy and we think its because he is young and we are not home very often. So, we got a playmate for him! Welcome to the family, Nigel!
And now, onto those cupcakes. Mini cupcakes are pretty amazing plus they are a great way to celebrate our new little guy. In fact, I have decided to eat healthy by only eating desserts that are mini or homemade. Not sure this is considered a "diet," but at least it helps me focus on portion control without feeling like I'm really giving anything up. And lets be honest, I don't think I can totally give up sweets. I saw this recipe on How Sweet It Is and I simply adapted the cupcakes to include some slightly lighter ingredients and I made them mini which changes the baking time a bit.
Mini Brown Sugar Cupcakes with Brown Sugar Peanut Butter Frosting
1 cup light brown sugar
1 tbsp vanilla
3/4 cup skim milk
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
4 oz low-fat cream cheese
1/2 cup natural, creamy peanut butter (I love Skippy)
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla
skim milk, if needed
1. Preheat oven to 350 and line 24 mini cupcake wells with cupcake liners.
2. In a large bowl, beat the brown sugar with unsalted butter. Beat in the egg until well combined.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the flours with the baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add 1/3 of this mixture to the wet ingredients and beat until just combined. Add in about 1/2 of the milk and 1/2 tbsp of vanilla and beat to combine. Repeat with the flour mixture, then the rest of the milk/vanilla and then end with the rest of the flour mixture. Divide the batter into your cupcake pan so that each well is about 3/4 of the way full.
4. Bake at 350 for about 10-12 minutes. Let cool completely.
5. To make the frosting, beat the cream cheese and peanut butter in a bowl until smooth. Beat in the sugars and vanilla until creamy. Add in a few tsp of milk if your mixture is too thick. Frost those cupcakes!