Sunday, June 30, 2013

Lemon Brown Butter Pasta Salad with Arugula, Tomatoes, and Toasted Pine Nuts

I have fantastic news to share!  I passed!!!

I took TWO more teacher tests recently so that I can become certified in Illinois as well as Wisconsin and I just found out that I passed! So, I am one step closer to being a full-fledged certified teacher!  This is both very excited and a little scary, but I am so glad that I passed those dang tests and now I can relax!

Today I am sharing a fun recipe that I found while watching Giada on the Food Network.  I love Giada and her food always looks so good!  This pasta dish sounded amazing and so I made it right after I watched her show!  Instead of warm pasta, I served it as a chilled Pasta Salad and it was a huge hit!

Lemon Brown Butter Pasta Salad with Arugula, Tomatoes and Toasted Pine Nuts (adapted from Giada's Recipe)

Ingredients:
1 box whole wheat penne pasta
4 cups arugula
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup pine nuts
1 cup italian blend shredded cheese
1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
Dressing:
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 lemon
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Directions:
1. In a small bowl, making the dressing.  Pour olive oil in and then zest the whole lemon and put that in.  Next, juice the lemon and add that to the mixture.  Finally add in salt and pepper and whisk to combine. Set aside.
2. Place pine nuts on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 5-6 minutes at 350 degrees.  They should be fragrant and lightly browned.
3. Cook pasta to al dente according to directions.  Drain and place back into the pot.
4. In a skillet, melt butter over medium heat.  Continue to cook the butter, stirring occasionally  until browned and fragrant.  Turn off the heat, add in the pasta, arugula, tomatoes, pine nuts, cheese, and dressing.  Toss to combine.  The arugula will wilt.
5.  Serve immediately as a hot dish or chill in the fridge to serve as a pasta salad.

Enjoy :)



2 comments:

  1. Jodie, this looks amazing! I would love to share it this week on my Walking on Sunshine blog as part of a July 4th recipe round up! Just the photo and link back to your blog for the recipe. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jodie vimax canada , this looks amazing! i like this food so yummy..

    ReplyDelete