Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Heath Bar Butterscotch Ice Cream

My Dad's favorite candy is Heath Bar.  So, for Father's Day, I wanted to make him a yummy dessert that used heath bar!

I am also recently obsessed with making ice cream.  Now that I am home, I love that I get to use my stand mixer and my ice cream maker.  These are two appliances that I really miss when I am away from home and now that I am back I am a tad obsessed.

Speaking of obsessed, I am also a tad obsessed with Candy Crush Saga.  Like, it is ruining my life a little.  I can't stop playing! If you don't know what this is, don't check it out.  You will get addicted and you will regret it.  However, if you do know what I am talking about I'm pretty sure you understand where I am coming from.

This ice cream was super yummy and it is definitely going to be a go-to recipe of mine.  I basically made Alton Brown's Vanilla Ice Cream and mixed in heath bar pieces and a bit of butterscotch.  It was awesome.  Now I am going to play some more Candy Crush and eat ice cream...its gonna be a great night.

Heath Bar Butterscotch Ice Cream

Ingredients:
3 cups half and half
1 cup heavy cream
8 egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar
3 tsp vanilla
1 cup heath bar pieces
2 tbsp butterscotch topping

Directions:
1. In a large saucepan, heat half and half and cream until simmering.
2. In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks and sugar until pale yellow.  Slowly stir in the warm cream mixture until well combined.  Pour mixture back into the saucepan and heat over medium heat.
3.  Stir constantly until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon.  This will take a little while, about 15 minutes.
4.  Pour mixture into a bowl and chill for 4-8 hours.  I chilled mine overnight.
5. Once the mixture is chilled, pour into an ice cream make and churn according to your directions.  After about 10 minutes, add the heath pieces and butterscotch.
6. Once the ice cream is done, serve as soft serve, or pour into a container and freeze for a few hours until hardened.

Enjoy :)


1 comment: