Monday, March 11, 2013

Spinach, Mushroom, and Goat Cheese Risotto

It's another Half Marathon Monday! This week I ran a little less during the week because of how busy I was, but I still felt great during and after my 8 mile run on Saturday!  Next week, I might go for 9!

This weekend was super crazy, but I still wanted to put together a little post for you all today.  I drove home on Friday so that I could attend a job fair on Saturday morning in a north suburb of Chicago.  Friday night was great because I got to see my mom, Bri (he's on Spring Break!), and get FroYo!!! It was an awesome night.  Saturday was stressful.  The fair went well and I talked to a bunch of schools.  However, it was a scary experience and I left feeling slightly overwhelmed.  I went home, ran 8 miles while watching a movie, and then showered, baked carrot cake cupcakes, and drove back to school for Lauren's Birthday!  We went out to dinner, ate the cupcakes for dessert, and then partyed a little to celebrate her bday.  It was fun, but I ended up exhausted!  Then, Sunday came and I had a thousand things to catch up on and I had to lose an hour! Not fair.  However, Patrick, made a great Birthday Brunch for Lauren and that was a nice way to start the day.

Today I want to share a risotto recipe with you all that Tamara and I threw together.  We like to spend Sundays catching up on work and planning for the week.  So, we also made a little dinner for ourselves.  It was awesome and we had leftovers for lunch during the week! This is a great dish to make when you are trying to use up food in your fridge so give it a try!

Spinach Mushroom and Goat Cheese Risotto

Ingredients:
4-5 cups chicken broth
1 medium white onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 cups arborio rice
1 cup dry white wine
1 cup spinach
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
4 oz goat cheese
parmesan cheese

Directions:
1. In a large saucepan, heat chicken broth over medium heat.
2. In another saucepan, sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil over medium heat until onion becomes translucent.
3.  Add in rice and stir to combine.  Pour in wine, stir, and let cook, stirring occasionally until all the wine is soaked up.
4.  Add 1/4 cup of broth and stir until it is soaked up.  Continue to do this until rice is al dente.  Add in spinach and mushrooms and let cook for 5 minutes.  Stir in goat cheese.
5.  Top with parmesan and serve!

Enjoy :)

2 comments:

  1. Risotto is my favorite food to make for people to seem all classy, hehe. It's somewhat difficult, but so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go on upping your miles! I'm on week two of my half marathon training and have a 6 mile run this weekend! At least I can make this risotto and eat all of it after my run!

    ReplyDelete