Monday, March 7, 2016

Marathon Training Monday: 15 Miles

Saturday was the first long run over 13 miles.  The 15-miler is always a run that intimidates me while simultaneously exciting me because it is the first run longer than a half marathon and therefore the first run that makes me feel like a rockstar marathon runner.  Running 15 miles and feeling good afterwards is a the best because it reminds me that I can totally run a marathon.

Friday night, I had a fancy dinner party with some friends.  We cooked some amazing food, but we drank wine while we cooked that amazing food.  This is typically totally fine, but our food wasn't ready until 9:30 and I didn't go to bed until 11:30.  When I woke up at 6 am, I had a bit of a headache and felt exhausted.  Uh oh... So, I took some advil, put on my running shoes/clothes and headed out to our meeting spot for the 15 miler.  All the while, I kept thinking "I'm not so sure about this..."  The first 5 miles were not great.  I felt so tired.  But then, I started to feel better and the last 5 miles felt great.  It was the strangest run, but I am so proud of myself for killing it.  I treated myself to a delish lunch from the whole foods salad bar (salmon, roasted sweet potatoes, and broccoli) and went home feeling very sweaty and very happy.  This past week was a tough one.  I ran a total of 33 miles.  I feel tired, but also strong and I can't believe my marathon is less than 2 months away!

This week the mileage increases even more.  I am going to run 6, 9, 6, and then 16.  That makes for a total of 37 miles.  This is pretty intense.   I have plans to take good care of myself, get to bed at reasonable times and avoid any fancy dinner parties.  I should be fine :)

No comments:

Post a Comment