Monday, July 20, 2015

Marathon Training Monday: Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon

Yesterday I ran the Chicago Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon.  It was probably the worst race I have ever run.  It was incredibly hot and humid and that is why I am incredibly proud of finishing in 2 hours and 17 minutes with a 10:29 pace.  I can't believe I did that considering how awful I felt for a lot of the race.

Working a half marathon into your marathon training is a great way to stay motivated and stay excited.  Races are so much fun!  While this one was hot, it was still fun to run with friends and get all the cool race gear including a new medal to add to my collection!

FIVE of my friends up there ran their first half and I was so proud of them and excited for them.  The race was a really difficult one.  Miles 1-4 weren't so bad and we were in the shade.  However, the humidity made it a really high effort portion.  By mike 5 I was tired and I was worried.  There is nothing worse than thinking you might not finish.  I did my best to power through and distract myself.  Miles 5-10 were just really difficult and the sun started to come out.  I needed to take a little breather.  So, I walked for a few minutes.  Then, from 10-13 there was music and I knew I was close enough that I could do it and I found new strength and motivation. It also helped that someone threw a cold and wet sponge at me! Finishing felt amazing and after some chocolate milk and lots of water. I felt great.

This week, the mileage for training is 3, 6, 3, and 12.  I am going to give myself a break by skipping the 6 and running 4 and 4.  Then, I'll be ready for 12 miles on Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment