Sunday, October 21, 2012

Pumpkin Spice Scones

Sundays are the perfect day to whip up a nice batch of scones.  That is why I am sharing this recipe today! I found the original recipe at Bespangled and she described the scones as "inspired by Starbucks." Now, I LOVE coffee, I LOVE scones, and I LOVE Pumpkin Spice Latte Season.  So, this recipe for Pumpkin Spice Scones sounded just perfect to pair with a pumpkin spice latte!  I am working on the Pumpkin Spice Latte idea, but here are the scones.  I adapted the recipe to use some lighter ingredients and it tasted fabulous! I brought them to study night and my DTS taste testers all agreed that these were just amazing.  I must admit, I may or may not have licked the spoon I used to make the glaze when I was done and it was crazy good.  Beware of that glaze and enjoy these scones!


Pumpkin Spice Scones


Ingredients:
2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
6 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1 egg
3 tbsp half and half
Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp skim milk
Pumpkin Spice Glaze:
1 cup + 3 tbsp powdered sugar
2 tbsp skim milk
1/2 tbsp pumpkin puree
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
dash of cinnamon

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, whisk flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and pumpkin pie spice.  Stir in the melted butter until you have a mixture that resembles wet sand.  Use your hands to pinch the butter through the flour mixture.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk the pumpkin puree, egg, and half and half until well combined.  Pour in the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
4. Place the dough on some parchment paper and form it into a rectangle about a foot long, 4-5 inches wide, and 1 inch thick.  Using a knife, cut this into thirds and then cut each third into 8 pieces by cutting diagonally, horizontally and vertically.  You will end up with 24 mini triangles.



5.  Place on parchment lined sheet and bake for 12 minutes.  Let cool.
6. Make both glazes: make the basic glaze by stirring the milk into the powdered sugar until well combined.  Make the pumpkin glaze by stirring all the ingredients together until well combined.  If you want a thicker glaze, add more sugar and if you want a thinner glaze, add more milk.
7.  Spread the basic glaze over each cooled scone and then drizzle the pumpkin glaze over the top.


Enjoy :)

2 comments:

  1. These look delicious! I have a can of pumpkin that is waiting to be use!

    Thanks for sharing this recipe

    Cynthia at http://feedingbig.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I NEED TO MAKE THESE. Pumpkin season is in full swing :)

    ReplyDelete