We went to a restaurant called Bluegrass for dinner and the service was amazing! The waiter, chef, and owner all brought her special dishes and everything was amazing. They made her their signature martini, brought out amazing appetizers, and of course, there was a special dessert.
|Yes, there is a live fish in there...|
After dinner, She had a bunch of friends over for dessert and I really wanted to bring her something cute and special. I searched through my Intoxicated Cupcakes book and found the perfect little treat: Champaign Cupcakes. They were pink and sparkly and truly represented Katie in every way. Plus, they were perfect for a 21st birthday as they had champaign in the cake AND the frosting!
|Champagne Cupcakes (from Intoxicated Cupcakes by Kate Legere)|
For the cupcakes:
6 large egg whites
5 oz unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 2/3 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup Champagne
1/4 cup sparkly sprinkles (or confetti)
For the glaze:
1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
6 drops pink food coloring
5 tbsp Champagne
sparkly sprinkles for decorating
1. Preheat oven to 350 and line a cupcake pan with 18 liners.
2. In a large bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peak forms. Set aside.
3. In another large bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
4. In another medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, and salt. Alternate adding the flour mixture and the Champagne to the butter mixture, starting with the flour and ending with the flour. Stir in the sprinkles.
5. Fold in 1/3 of the egg whites. Then, fold in the remaining 2/3.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared pans and baking for about 20-23 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool cupcakes completely.
7. Make the glaze by whisking all the ingredients, except for the sprinkles, together. Spread glaze on cooled cupcakes and top with the sprinkles for decoration.
Happy Birthday Katie!!!