I decided to take a blog-cation. I'm not sure that is a real thing, but I am officially making it a thing. I was feeling a little overwhelmed with how much I have going on in my life and I just couldn't keep up. It happens. All the stuff is really good and I totally kept cooking up a storm, but I just didn't feel like writing. However, I am pretty pumped to tell you about this Vegetarian Paella:
Here is a quick re-cap on all the good stuff that is keeping me occupied. First, school is busy. I am teaching the AP Calc and Precalc groups right now, so I have a lot to plan for. I have never taught these classes before this year and so I need more time to plan and prepare myself. Plus, this math stuff can be really difficult! I give these kids a lot of credit because they are learning some tough stuff and doing a really nice job! Then, I also have cheer practice or basketball games after school. On Saturday, we attended a college basketball game and talked to the cheer team there. It was really fun and the girls had a great time meeting the college cheerleaders. We are also getting ready for a winter pep rally and that means lots of practice. On top of all that, I also had a meeting on Monday with the park district to start preparing for my summer job. Summer seems really far away, but now is the time that we start planning/hiring for summer camp. Finally, Bri and I have been doing a lot of house shopping. We think we found our condo and are getting ready to make an offer! And, all of this is in addition to wedding planning and marathon training. Jeez!
So, needless to say, I just have a lot on my plate.
I also found out that next year I will be teaching 12th grade. For any of you who keep up with my life, I am currently teaching 11th grade and this means I will be teaching the same kiddos next year! I am turning into Mr. Feeny from Boy Meets World! This is just awesome since Mr. Feeny is the best!
How can you not love that guy???
Well, now that you are all mostly updated on my whirlwind life, here is a fabulous recipe for Vegetarian Paella. I made this on a weeknight, which means that it takes like no time, and it was crazy yummy. Please make this and enjoy!
(adapted from The Kitchn)
1 cup brown rice
1/4 tsp tumeric
1/4 tsp paprika
5-6 cups vegetable broth
1 tbsp olive oil
1 sweet onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 red peppers, sliced
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 tbsp hot paprika
1 cup green beans, trimmed and halved
1 can artichoke heart quarters, drained and roughly chopped
1 cup cooked chickpeas
1/4 cup frozen peas
salt and pepper
1. Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil, add a pinch of salt and the brown rice, and boil for 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. In another pot, bring the broth to a simmer.
3. Heat the olive oil in a cast iron skillet and saute the onions until translucent. Add in the peppers and garlic and cook until the peppers soften. Add in the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, tumeric, paprika, hot paprika, and season with salt and pepper (to taste). Let this simmer for 5 minutes
4. Fold in the green beans, artichoke hearts, chickpeas and cooked rice. Ladel the warm broth into the mixture until the rice is almost covered. Let simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Stir in the frozen peas and let simmer for 5 more minutes. Then, serve!