Monday, December 21, 2015

Autumn Minestrone Soup

Today is the first official day of winter break! I stuck to my typical schedule of going to boot camp class at 5:45 am because I figured it was good for me.  I know I'm a little crazy.  However, it was a nice way to start my day and now I have the whole day ahead of me!  

What is really weirding me out is the fact that it is raining...on December 21st...in Chicago.  What???

So, I figured it would be lovely to share this soup recipe with you all because it is a soup kinda day.  

I made this soup as part of Bri's and my vegetarian Thanksgiving.  This was just a dinner for the two of us where I went all out and made a ton of delicious vegetarian things.  This Autumn Minestrone was super easy to make and it was amazing!  If anyone else out there is looking out the window and thinking today is going to be one dreary Monday, make this soup!  It will totally brighten your day!

Autumn Minestrone Soup
(adapted from Cooking Classy)

Ingredients:
15 baby carrots, chopped
1 medium sweet onion, chopped
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
6 cups vegetable broth
2 - 2 1/2 cups 1 inch cubed sweet potato, peeled first
2 - 2 1/2 cups 1 inch cubed butternut squash
1 zucchini, quartered
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp cinnamon
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups kale and spinach mix
1 14.5 oz can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
parmesan for topping

Directions:
1. In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium and add in the carrots and onion.  Cook for about 5 minutes and then add in the garlic and cook for another minute.  
2. Add in the vegetable broth, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, zucchini, rosemary, oregano, thyme, cinnamon, and bay leaves.  Season with salt and pepper.  Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce heat and let simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes or until sweet potatoes can be pierced with a fork.  
3. Add in the kale/spinach and the kidney beans.  Cover and let cook for an additional 5 minutes.  Remove the bay leaves and serve with parmesan if you want!

Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment