Sunday, January 4, 2015

Red Wine Risotto with Mushrooms and Goat Cheese

It is absolutely disgusting here! I woke up and looking outside to find a "wintry mix."  That means its snowing and raining and just gross.  I love to go for a nice long run on Saturday or Sunday because I have the time and it gets me outdoors, but not today!  Today, I am heading to LA Fitness to run on a nice warm treadmill where I won't get icy rain in my eyes.  I'm a little bummed about this weather since we have been so lucky up until now.  Every weekend has been in the 40s or 50s and beautiful for winter in Chicago.  I guess that dream is over and winter has finally arrived.

In honor of the yucky weather, I am sharing a comforting recipe that is perfect for when you are stuck indoors, have some time to kill, and want something delicious and warm.  I made this recipe from How Sweet It Is ages ago and when I went to write the post I realized I didn't take any pictures! So, I had to make it again!  I changed a few things, so here is my rendition of a Red Wine Risotto with Mushrooms.

Red Wine Risotto with Mushrooms

Ingredients:
16 oz sliced mushrooms
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp cider vinegar
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 cups arborio rice
1/2 sweet onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup red wine
4-5 cups vegetable stock
1 tbsp goat cheese (I used herbed goat cheese...yum!)
parmesan cheese

Directions:
1. In a large sauté pan, heat 2 tbsp olive oil over medium heat.  Add in mushrooms and cook until mushrooms start to reduce in size.  Add in the cider vinegar and balsamic vinegar and cook until liquid reduces.  Remove from heat.
2. Heat the vegetable broth in a medium pot over low heat.
3. In a large pot, heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat and add in the onion and garlic.  Cook until onion starts to become translucent, about 5 minutes.  Add in the arborio rice and stir to combine.  Cook for about 2 minutes.  Add in the red wine and cook until rice has totally absorbed the wine.  Now, add in about 1/2 cup of the warm vegetable broth and stir until it is absorbed.  Continue this process until your rice is totally cooked.  This usually takes about 20-25 minutes.  In the last 5 minutes, stir in the mushrooms and goat cheese.  Once finished, top off the dish with some parmesan.

Enjoy :)


No comments:

Post a Comment