Sunday, September 7, 2014

Homemade Baked Cheese Fries

Alright, so I know that I am usually all about being healthy and running and all that jazz.  However, when I let my true colors show, I am a person constantly craves either cheese fries or cinnamon rolls.  Since neither of these really fit into my "eating healthy" plan, I try my very best to avoid both.

Until, I found this recipe for Cheese Sauce from Serious Eats:

Cheese Sauce


Ingredients:
8 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
12 oz can evaporated milk
1 tsp cornstarch
2-3 tsp hot sauce

Directions:
1. Toss shredded cheese with the cornstarch and then add to a medium saucepan.
2.  Add evaporated milk to saucepan and heat over medium until melted and thickened.
3. Add in hot sauce to taste.

Game over! This is too easy! Plus, I can totally use "light" cheddar and "light" evaporated milk.  So that totally makes it healthy...right?

Then, I found a recipe for baked french fries and I was set.

So, go make that cheese sauce and then make these baked fries and you have yourself some "healthy" cheese fries!

Baked French Fries
(adapted from Purple Foodie)

Ingredients:
8-9 garlic cloves, minced
5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1.5 lbs of potatoes, cut into 1 inch wedges
3 tbsp cornstarch
1 1/2 tsp sea salt
1 1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 450.
2. In a bowl, combine the oil with the garlic.  Heat in microwave on 30 second intervals until garlic is fragrant.
3. Take about 4 tbsp of oil from the bowl and spread on the baking pan.
4. Place potato wedges in bowl with garlic and toss.  Cover in plastic wrap and microwave for 4-6 minutes or until potatoes start to look translucent.
5. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, salt, pepper, garlic, and cayenne.  Sprinkle over the warm potatoes and toss to coat.
6.  Lay potatotes out separately on the oiled pan.  Bake in oven for 30-40 minutes, flipping halfway through baking.  Potatoes should be golden and crisp.
Veggie Burger with Cheese Fries

Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment