|Shane demonstrating how much whipped cream is appropriate|
|Super fun dance clump :)|
For the crust:
1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup cold, unsalted butter, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 tsp lemon juice
3 tbsp ice water
For the filling:
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
3/4 cup bittersweet chocolate chips, melted
1 cup dark corn syrup
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup dark rum
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
2 tsp cornmeal
1/2 tsp salt
1. Make the crust: Whisk flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Whisk in butter until mixture starts to resemble crumbly, wet sand. Add lemon juice and water and mix until dough comes together. Add a little water if dough is too dry. Form into a round disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to a day.
2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough into a 13 inch round. Place in a 9 inch pie pan and trim the overhanging dough. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
3. Sprinkle the pecans evenly in the bottom of the crust. Pour the melted chocolate over the pecans. (To melt the chocolate: microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until melted. Let cool slightly before pouring into crust).
4. In a large saucepan, combine corn syrup, sugars, and rum. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, for about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
5. In a large bowl, mix the eggs, melted butter, cornmeal, and salt. Whisking constantly, slowly add the hot rum mixture. Add about 1/4, combine, and then repeat. Once fully combined, pour over the chocolate and pecans.
6. Bake the pie for 55 minutes or until center is set. If the crust browns too quickly, cover with foil or a pie shield. Let cool completely.