Sunday, March 4, 2012

FroYo

I came home for the weekend.  The main reason was to spend time with my family and just relax.  However, there was another aspect motivating me to come home.  I had to meet a new member of the family!

ICE CREAM MAKER!  That's right...I, Jodie, bought an ice cream maker.  It is a fairly large appliance and I just don't have the room for it at my fraternity house.  So, I had it shipped home.  It arrived a few weeks ago and I have been itching to meet it since then.  I have also been doing my research and looking for good frozen yogurt recipes.







FroYo (Frozen Yogurt) is my favorite dessert.  Hands down.  I am a huge sweets person, but ice cream takes the cake (no pun intended) every time.  I am also a huge health person, so when I decided to get healthy and work on losing some weight, I had to make a tough decision regarding ice cream.  That is when I developed my love for frozen yogurt.  It is still just as delicious and you feel way less guilty about eating it.  I found some fantastic recipes involving greek yogurt and I decided to try them out on my new appliance.

Greek yogurt is great.  I am a huge fan of any recipe that uses greek yogurt as some sort of dairy substitute.  It is lower in sugar, low-fat, and high in protein.  That makes it a staple in my fridge and a super food in my life.  These following recipes are so basic and so yummy!  All you need is some plain greek yogurt, sugar or a sugar substitute, vanilla extract, and whatever toppings/flavors you want for your frozen yogurt!

Here is what I made:

Vanilla Frozen Yogurt (from Marcus Samuelsson)


Ingredients:
3 cups non-fat plain greek yogurt (I used Chobani)
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Directions:
1. Using a mixer, mix all the ingredients together until the sugar is completely dissolved.
2. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
3. Make ice cream according to the directions from your ice cream maker.
Enjoy :)

We spiced this guy up with chocolate and caramel sauce that my parents got while on a vacation in Door County. Mmmmm...


Dark Chocolate Frozen Yogurt (adapted from Healthy Food for Living)


Ingredients:
3 cups non-fat greek yogurt (Again, Chobani)
1 cup plus 2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips

Directions:
1. Using a mixer, mix the yogurt, sugar, cocoa powder, and vanilla until well combined and the sugar is completely dissolved.
2. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
3. Make ice cream according to directions from your ice cream maker and add the chocolate chips in about 5 minutes before the ice cream is done.

Enjoy :)



5 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous! We got one for our wedding but my husband convinced me to return it. He claimed it would collect dust in the basement! lol I think I would just get fat eating ice cream all the time so I let him win that battle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely go get one! I LOVE it!

      Delete
  2. I think that you can mix up the ingredients and then freeze it and it would still make frozen yogurt...maybe worth a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both your frozen yogurts look so simple but delectable - yummy :D
    And I love my ice cream maker too!!!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  4. Froyo is definitely the best alternative for ice cream, most especially if you want a healthy option for an icy and sweet dessert. You can come up with different healthy recipes out of yogurt. The best toppings you can have are raspberry, strawberry, or any fruits you like, as matter of fact.
    -Fresh & Healthy

    ReplyDelete