We went over to my mom and dad's for a BBQ and to celebrate my mom's birthday this weekend. I figured I would make a pie because we needed a dessert and I've been wanting to bake! So, I decided to go for a Strawberry Rhubarb Pie. I have never made one before! Can you believe that? Every summer, I see all these strawberry rhubarb recipes come out and I'm always like, "I'm gonna make a pie..." and then I never get around to it. So, I finally did. And, everyone LOVED it. It was a delicious, freakin pie. The crust was flaky, the fruit amazing, and it looked gorgeous! I was inspired by a recipe I saw on America's Test Kitchen and then I adapted from there. I love how you make a strawberry rhubarb syrup of sorts to keep the fruit juicy, but also keep the crust from getting soggy. It was really delicious!
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
3 1/2 cups flour
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
12 tbsp cold, unsalted butter, cubed
1/2 cup cold vegetable shortening, cut into 4-6 pieces
2 lbs rhubarb, chopped
1 lb strawberries, hulled and halved
1 1/4 cups sugar
3 tbsp tapioca powder
1. Make the crust: Put the flour, sugar, and salt in a food processor and pulse a few times to combine. Then, add in the butter cubes and pieces of shortening and pulse until you have a sandy mixture. Add in water as needed until dough comes together. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and place in fridge to chill.
2. Place rhubarb in a microwave safe bowl with the sugar. Microwave for a minute and a half, stir, and then microwave for another minute. Stir in 1 cup of strawberries and let the mixture sit for 30 minutes.
3. After 30 minutes, drain the rhubarb mixture into a small saucepan. Add the rest of the strawberries to the rhubarb juice and cook over medium-high until you can mash the strawberries. Mash the strawberries, add in the tapioca powder and continue to cook until sauce thickens. Add the sauce to the rhubarb mixture.
4. Take the dough out of the fridge, cut into two pieces. Roll one piece out on a well floured surface and then place in pie dish. Pour the fruit into the pie dish and place in the fridge.
5. Take the other piece of dough and roll it out. When you are ready take the pie out of the fridge and lay the rolled out dough over the top. Press the dough together around the sides. Then, brush the top of the crust with water, cut a few slits into the top, and sprinkle sugar over the top.
6. Bake at 425 for 25 minutes. Then, lower the temperature to 375 and bake for another 35-40 minutes. Let cool.